-->
Will approach authorities to sort out security concerns: Xiaomi

Will approach authorities to sort out security concerns: Xiaomi

PTI, EOI, New Delhi, 26 Oct 2014: Stressing that it does not collect any user data without permission, Chinese smart phone-maker Xiaomi on Sunday said it will engage with Indian authorities to address the concerns about security of user's data. 
Last week, in an advisory, the Indian Air Force asked its personnel and their families to desist from using Chinese 'Xiaomi Redmi 1s' phones as these are believed to be transferring data to their servers in China and could be a security risk. "We are trying to get to the bottom of this. So far, we have not heard anything from the IAF or any other authorities and have only read media reports. We will reach out to authorities and engage with them to address any concerns that they might have," Xiaomi Vice President Hugo Barra told PTI. Earlier this year, security solutions provider F-Secure had, in a report, demonstrated how a Xiaomi Redmi 1S phone was sending data, including the user's IMEI, phone number, and phone numbers of contacts added to the phone book to a remote server. Based on the report and inputs from Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In), the IAF note was prepared. Barra said the company collect data only with the user's permission to offer specific services like cloud. "We don't have a revolutionary product. Like many other messaging services, we also offer messaging, backup, cloud services to our customers. We also have the highest standards of encryption to ensure that users' data is safe," he added. He said the company has already started migrating data of its international users (non-Chinese) to data centres in the US and Singapore. "The migration process, which began earlier this year, will be completed by the end of October and will benefit users in international markets, including our customers in India, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, and Taiwan," he added. Xiaomi entered the Indian market in July this year with its Mi3 smart phones.

Related Posts

0 Response to "Will approach authorities to sort out security concerns: Xiaomi"

Post a Comment

Disclaimer Note:
The views expressed in the articles published here are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy, position, or perspective of Kalimpong News or KalimNews. Kalimpong News and KalimNews disclaim all liability for the published or posted articles, news, and information and assume no responsibility for the accuracy or validity of the content.
Kalimpong News is a non-profit online news platform managed by KalimNews and operated under the Kalimpong Press Club.

Comment Policy:
We encourage respectful and constructive discussions. Please ensure decency while commenting and register with your email ID to participate.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.