Gurung warns tourists not to visit Darjeeling in Pujas
Incidentally, the GJM has already called a 12-hour bandh on Wednesday but, ironically, the GTA has plans to observe World Tourism Day across the Hills on Tuesday, September 27. The schedule of events includes a Toy Train ride, with lunch and snacks, for 100 underprivileged kids from Darjeeling to Kurseong and back.
“Tourists should carefully consider before making travel plans for Darjeeling. An agitation is on. They should not arrive here and ask for relaxation of bandhs to return home when a strike is called. We will not consider such appeals,” Gurung said. “Tourists who have tickets for September 28 should leave the Hills by September 27,” Binay Tamang, GJM leader and GTA’s executive member, said on Monday.
Gurung had been threatening to renew a long-term stir to demand a Gorkhaland state for quite some time now but his latest move could not have come at a worse time. With the political situation in Kashmir becoming increasingly volatile, thousands of tourists from Bengal were planning to visit Darjeeling, Kalimpong and Kurseong, along with Sikkim among other destinations, during the upcoming Puja vacation. The GJM chief ’s words would surely take a toll on Hills tourism — a crucial component of Darjeeling’s economy.
The trigger for Gurung’s latest outburst has been chief minister Mamata Banerjee’s recent remarks that the state government had given Rs 4,000 crores to the GTA over the last four and a half years but little of that amount had been used for the development of the Hills.
Darjeeling is infamous for bandhs which have extended to even more 40 days (called by GJM in August-September 2013.) There have been instances when tourists have been asked to vacate the Hills on a 48-hour notice.
0 Response to "Gurung warns tourists not to visit Darjeeling in Pujas"
Post a Comment
Disclaimer Note:
The views expressed in the articles published here are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy, position, or perspective of Kalimpong News or KalimNews. Kalimpong News and KalimNews disclaim all liability for the published or posted articles, news, and information and assume no responsibility for the accuracy or validity of the content.
Kalimpong News is a non-profit online news platform managed by KalimNews and operated under the Kalimpong Press Club.
Comment Policy:
We encourage respectful and constructive discussions. Please ensure decency while commenting and register with your email ID to participate.
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.