ADVT

ON SALE
19 decimal private land with a House
at Sabitri Ghising Road, Bong Busty Kalimpong.
Single storied house has 3 Bedrooms,
Living room, Kitchen & Dining room,
3 Bathroom-cum-toilets
Contact: thulungakrai@gmail.com
or 9434131719


FOR MATTERS RELATED TO ADVERTISEMENTS (tariff, requests and availability) mail to thulungakrai@gmail.com or kalimpongpress@gmail.com or newskalimpong@gmail.com


Kalimpong Press Club is a registered organisation having Registration No. S/1L /17670 issued by the Registrar of Firms, Societies and Non-trading Corporations, West Bengal in accordance to the West Bengal Society Registration Act 1961 and is being continuously renewed.

Its members are members of Eastern Himalayan Journalists Union having Registration No.28463 of 2013 (registered under Trade Unions Act, 1926) which is affiliated to Indian Journalists' Union.

26 Apr 2018

Experts say 99% chances of death if ‘death cap’ consumed

Samsing mushroom deaths
Samsing mushroom deaths
Sankha Ghosh | SNS | Siliguri | April 26, 2018: The incident in Kalimpong district where five persons died after eating poisonous mushroom has sent shockwaves across the region, with the medical fraternity saying that the toxins present in the species of fungus that killed the five persons are so harmful that the there are 99 percent chances of death if consumed.

Seven persons of two families in the Samsing forest compound in Kalimpong district had eaten the wild mushroom for dinner on Wednesday last. It is learnt that Navi Bhujel, 60, his wife Sheela Bhujel, 58 and their son Mandeep Bhujel, 19 died undergoing treatment in a Siliguri hospital, while Shyam Kumar Rai, 68, died on Friday, and his wife Ashamaya Rai, 61, died on Saturday.

Though their bodies were buried on Sunday, police exhumed them on Monday for carrying out a postmortem, sources said. Two persons, Chaitan Rai and Amit Rai, are still undergoing treatment in a private nursing home in Siliguri, and health officials here said the condition of Amit was critical.

A senior public health officer on Wednesday said that the killer mushroom had been identified as Amanita phalloides, commonly known as the ‘Death Cap.’ “They consumed this mushroom, which is very very harmful for health. The toxins in the mushroom do not rot even in extreme heat. They affect the liver and kidneys and remain active for at least six days after consumption. The chance of death after consuming this toxic mushroom is 99 percent,” the heath officer said. Samples of the mushroom have been sent to the Uttar Banga Krishi Viswavidyalaya for tests, it is learnt.

According to experts, the initial symptoms after consumption of the mushroom are gastrointestinal in nature and they include abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting.

“Hypotension, tachycardia, hypoglycemia and acid-base disturbances are seen in very severe cases,” an expert said. The health department has said it has started campaigning in the Samsing area following the incident.

The department has cautioned residents against eating wild herbs and mushrooms. Darjeeling district chief medical officer of health, Dr Pralay Acharya, who is also in-charge of the health department of Kalimpong district, yesterday said that an experts’ team from the health department was working in the affected area.

Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 comments: on "Experts say 99% chances of death if ‘death cap’ consumed"

Post a Comment

Kalimpong News is a non-profit online News of Kalimpong Press Club managed by KalimNews. It is published simultaneously in this site as well as http://kalimpongnews.net.
Please be decent while commenting and register yourself with your email id. Your id will be kept secret, as far as practicable.

Popular Posts