Flydubai captain recounts mid-air incident to PM Modi - I knew I was not going to let others die
The Prime Minister spoke over phone to the pilot, who is currently undergoing treatment at a hospital in the UAE.
Machchhar, who was stabbed and seriously injured by his co-pilot in the cockpit of flydubai flight FZ1073, travelling from Dubai to Tel Aviv, on Wednesday, gave a detailed account of the incident to the prime minister in the video call and said that whenever in difficulty, he recites the Hanuman Chalisa, a hymn devoted to Lord Hanuman.
"I was lying on the floor (of the cockpit) injured. With whatever energy was left with me, I managed to act properly and saved the plane," the pilot said.
"I was fighting for my life but at the same time I knew I was not going to let others die. It was such a crucial moment. At that moment, I realised that the plane was going down. I had so many injuries. I was beaten but I told myself that I have to get up and act. At that time, I pushed myself to open the cockpit door. The role of other people was equally important," he said.
Speaking to Modi from the hospital bed, Machchhar, whose head was bandaged, told the prime minister that he has been flying aircraft for 17 years, including 11 years as a captain.
Lauding the pilot's bravery, presence of mind, and composure, the Prime Minister said Machchhar took the decision in a fraction of a second and saved the lives of so many people.
"After this incident, the country can proudly say that Indians are not those who take lives, but those who are willing to risk their lives to save others," Modi told the pilot.
"At that time, you received so many injuries and were engaged in a fight of life and death. But you ignored your own safety and were concerned about the safety of the passengers. You have enhanced the honour of 140 crore Indians. I feel proud from the bottom of my heart," he said.
Machchhar told the Prime Minister that whenever he is in difficulty, he recites the 'Hanuman Chalisa'. When the Prime Minister conveyed his appreciation on it, the pilot responded: "I am away from the country, not from our culture."
Modi told the pilot that temples across the country have conducted special prayers for his speedy recovery and that many Indians were reciting the 'Mahamrityunjaya Mantra'.
"You are a brave man. India is waiting to welcome you," he told the pilot.
Machchhar said the incident was a part of his life's journey, and expressed confidence that he would make a full recovery soon.
The Mumbai-born pilot became emotional during the call, and said it was a very special moment for him to speak with the Prime Minister.
Machchhar told the Prime Minister that he was his biggest idol and that receiving Modi's call made him extremely proud and that he had never imagined that he would get an opportunity to speak with him.
Modi also spoke about Machchhar's mother, Geeta Ben, and said she has raised him with the values and teachings of the 'Bhagavad Gita'.
The Prime Minister told the pilot that people across India and around the world are eager to talk to him.
"You have enhanced the honour of the country," Modi said.
The pilot added that he has been receiving the best possible treatment at the hospital.
The PM later tweeted about the video call with the pilot, saying it was "An unforgettable conversation with Captain Smit, filled with pride and emotions".
0 Response to "Flydubai captain recounts mid-air incident to PM Modi - I knew I was not going to let others die"
Post a Comment
Disclaimer Note:
The views expressed in the articles published here are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy, position, or perspective of Kalimpong News or KalimNews. Kalimpong News and KalimNews disclaim all liability for the published or posted articles, news, and information and assume no responsibility for the accuracy or validity of the content.
Kalimpong News is a non-profit online news platform managed by KalimNews and operated under the Kalimpong Press Club.
Comment Policy:
We encourage respectful and constructive discussions. Please ensure decency while commenting and register with your email ID to participate.
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.