-->
Shah Announces Security Grid for Siliguri Corridor; Suvendu Says 242 Km of Land Given to BSF

Shah Announces Security Grid for Siliguri Corridor; Suvendu Says 242 Km of Land Given to BSF


Sanchita Aich Bag, MP, August 22, 2026, Siliguri: The Union Home Ministry is tightening the security net around the strategically vital Siliguri Corridor, with Amit Shah announcing a special “triangular security grid” linking Chopra, Kishanganj and Dhubri, asserting that neither the state nor the country will be safe until its frontiers are secured.

Accompanying Shah in Siliguri, West Bengal Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari said the Bengal government had allotted the land required to strengthen border security and assured the Centre of continued cooperation.

Shah said surveillance, military presence and administrative control across the corridor have been significantly enhanced to make the security network around the “Chicken’s Neck” impenetrable.

Addressing a programme at the Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) North Bengal Frontier headquarters in Ranidanga, Shah said: “The region is being secured through regular military exercises such as Teesta Prahar”.

During the programme, Shah laid the foundation stones and inaugurated several administrative and residential projects for the SSB worth around Rs 189 crore.

Speaking about border infrastructure and land-related issues, Shah criticised the previous state government.

“Central security agencies had long required around 560 acres of land to strengthen the Siliguri Corridor and facilitate border fencing to prevent infiltration. The previous government had not provided the required land despite repeated requests. After Suvendu Adhikari took charge as Chief Minister, the state government prioritised national security and resolved land-related issues involving the BSF and SSB,” stated Shah.

“My desperate and repeated pleas to Mamata Banerjee for land to set up border fences by the BSF fell on deaf ears. I had been asking for 1,129 acres of land to strengthen border security since 2014. We received the land parcel only after the BJP government was formed in the state,” Shah said.

The Union Home Minister stated that within 45 days of the formation of the new state government, 1,129 acres of land had been transferred to the security agencies.

He added that the Chief Minister had also assured him, during discussions on Friday morning, that approval for the remaining 29 acres would be completed immediately.

Chief Minister Adhikari said that it was the first time that a West Bengal Chief Minister was participating in such a programme of the Border Force.

He said: “The state government is now working jointly with the central security agencies to strengthen border security. 242 kilometres of land has already been provided to the BSF. More work, however, needs to be done in this direction.”

Shah, meanwhile, claimed that although SSB officials had invited the previous Chief Minister to such programmes, she had never attended.

At Ranidanga, Shah also laid the foundation stone for projects on 80 acres of SSB land, including facilities for the newly constructed administrative building, the 19th Battalion at Thakurganj, the 12th Battalion at Kishanganj and a transit camp at New Jalpaiguri.

After the SSB programme, Shah inaugurated an exhibition on the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita at Kawakhali.

From the same platform, he inaugurated the new building of Bidhannagar Police Station and a drug rehabilitation centre at North Bengal Medical College and Hospital.

Speaking at the exhibition, Shah said: “The previous state government had not allowed the three new criminal laws to be implemented in West Bengal. The new legal framework has introduced modern provisions such as Zero FIR and e-FIR.”

Shah also said the state government is preparing to take action against corruption involving cut money, syndicate activities and road tax-related irregularities.

He announced that a toll-free number, 155334, would be used to register complaints regarding such corruption and assured that complaints would be acted upon promptly.

Following the programmes, Shah returned to a hotel in the New Chamta area, where he is scheduled to hold two meetings and spend the night.

0 Response to "Shah Announces Security Grid for Siliguri Corridor; Suvendu Says 242 Km of Land Given to BSF"

Post a Comment

Disclaimer Note:
The views expressed in the articles published here are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy, position, or perspective of Kalimpong News or KalimNews. Kalimpong News and KalimNews disclaim all liability for the published or posted articles, news, and information and assume no responsibility for the accuracy or validity of the content.
Kalimpong News is a non-profit online news platform managed by KalimNews and operated under the Kalimpong Press Club.

Comment Policy:
We encourage respectful and constructive discussions. Please ensure decency while commenting and register with your email ID to participate.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.