
Highest esteem for courts: Rahul The Congress chief pleaded that the petition against him "be dismissed in limine at the very threshold with costs"

The Congress chief
pleaded that the petition, filed by BJP MP Meenakshi Lekhi, "be
dismissed in limine at the very threshold with costs".
"It is
further submitted that by this petition, it is the applicant-petitioner
who is seeking to drag the court into a political controversy for
personal gains and political mileage," Rahul said in an affidavit filed
through advocate Sunil Fernandes.
Lekhi's contempt petition had
alleged that Rahul twisted the court's April 10 judgment to claim that
Prime Minister Narendra Modi had been held guilty of corrupt practices
in the controversial purchase of 36 Rafale aircraft.
The court had
then sought an explanation from Rahul without issuing any formal
notice.On April 22, Rahul had expressed "regret". that in the heat of
political campaigning he had juxtaposed the Congress slogan "chowkidar
chor hai" while citing the court's recent dismissal of the Centre's
objections to the Rafale review petitions.
When the matter came up
for hearing the next day, the court had issued a formal notice but
exempted Rahul from personal appearance.
In his fresh affidavit,
Rahul clarified that he "did not have the slightest or remotest
intention" of bringing the court into the political arena or "attribute
to it deliberately or wilfully that which the court had not said or
meant". Rather, it was Lekhi who had chosen to politicise the matter.
"The
answering respondent's response was based upon the immediate general
perception that in the review petition filed in the so-called Rafale
case, this Hon'ble Court had reopened the case for hearing, that the
court had not allowed the shutting out of new facts and documents as
desired by the Government and that there was generally a sense of
victory and exhilaration amongst those who had been campaigning for
inquiry into the Rafale issue," Rahul said.
"The answering
respondent holds this Hon'ble Court in the highest esteem. The answering
respondent has not done nor remotely intended to do anything to lower
the majesty of this Hon'ble Court in any manner whatsoever."
The
affidavit said there was no intention to "prejudice or interfere" with
the due course of any judicial proceedings, or "scandalise" the court in
any manner. "The said statements were made by the answering respondent
in Hindi in a rhetorical flourish in the heat of the moment," it said,
iterating the earlier claim.
The Congress president also said that
"without a readable copy of the Supreme Court order being available on
its website" he had had to rely upon "electronic and social media
reportage and the version of workers and activists" during the campaign.
"It
is submitted that the contempt petition is in itself a brazen abuse of
process of this Hon'ble Court inasmuch as an intention is sought to be
imputed that the answering respondent was attempting to lower the
prestige of the court and to interfere with the process of the court
which, as already explained, was not the case," the affidavit said.
"Furthermore,
misrepresentation of a public figure cannot be the basis of allowing a
contempt petition under Section 2(c) of the Contempt of Courts Act,
1971…," it said, adding that what should be condemned at the very outset
is the attempt to seek political mileage "under the garb of alleged
contempt".
The affidavit repeated the Congress's stand that the
Rafale deal was a tainted transaction and a brazen abuse of executive
power that needed to be probed by a joint parliamentary committee.
0 Response to "Highest esteem for courts: Rahul The Congress chief pleaded that the petition against him "be dismissed in limine at the very threshold with costs""
Post a Comment
Disclaimer Note:
The views expressed in the articles published here are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy, position, or perspective of Kalimpong News or KalimNews. Kalimpong News and KalimNews disclaim all liability for the published or posted articles, news, and information and assume no responsibility for the accuracy or validity of the content.
Kalimpong News is a non-profit online news platform managed by KalimNews and operated under the Kalimpong Press Club.
Comment Policy:
We encourage respectful and constructive discussions. Please ensure decency while commenting and register with your email ID to participate.
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.