
Madan Tamang case
TT, Calcutta, July 26: The case moved by Madan Tamang’s wife Bharati Tamang seeking cancellation of bails of five accused of the ABGL leader’s death came up for hearing before the division bench of Nishita Mhatre and Justice Kanchan Chakrabarty today.
Appearing for the CBI, advocate Himangshu De supported the petition and alleged that a bench of a Darjeeling court had released the five accused without his client’s knowledge.
“Out of the total 30 accused of the Madan Tamang murder case, 21 are still absconding while nine could be arrested by my client. Of these arrested nine, Nickole Tamang, one of the main accused, managed to escape from the CID’s custody. Three accused got bails from the Calcutta High Court,” De said.
“The rest five accused persons moved bail petitions before a Darjeeling court, not in the court where their trial was going on (but in another court), and showed the high court order. They claimed since the high court had already granted bail to their co-accused who were arrested on the same charges, they should also be granted bail. The trial court then granted them bail,” said the advocate.
The Calcutta High Court has cited inconvenience and said the case would be heard on a later date.
“If this court rejects the trial court’s order, where will the accused persons go for moving the bail petitions,” Justice Mhatre remarked.
The division bench has adjourned the hearing of the case till July 31.
ABGL chief Madan Tamang was hacked to death with a sharp weapon when he was preparing to address a public meeting on May 21, 2010, at the Upper Clubside in Darjeeling.
0 Response to "Madan Tamang case"
Post a Comment
Disclaimer Note:
The views expressed in the articles published here are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy, position, or perspective of Kalimpong News or KalimNews. Kalimpong News and KalimNews disclaim all liability for the published or posted articles, news, and information and assume no responsibility for the accuracy or validity of the content.
Kalimpong News is a non-profit online news platform managed by KalimNews and operated under the Kalimpong Press Club.
Comment Policy:
We encourage respectful and constructive discussions. Please ensure decency while commenting and register with your email ID to participate.
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.